Wednesday 2 October 2013

GRAPHICS: TEXT

WEEK 5 DAY 2

A quick task carried out here involved creating letters from the strangest possible ways, finding connections which would not usually be made for example the letter 'p' created by creases in the paper on the image above.

Using charcoal and drawing an impression of various objects under the paper created strange patterns and formations, I outlined the letters 'k' and 'm'.

Chucking pens at the pens and drawing using my little finger only created some interesting shapes, a '20' is just visible highlighted lightly with the green.

Grabbing a fist full of pastels and scribbling led to the creation of many letters.

Here I tore bits of the paper which created a 'w' which I then highlighted in blue.

Using scissors I sliced across the paper randomly then highlighting certain tears with green pastel. 

Here is a more messy piece where I just stuck down random things including charcoal chippings on glue which created an 'm'. On the right describes the methods I used (in blue) or could have used (in red) in this process.

I thought my charcoal impression technique was the strongest; so increased the scale to give me enough shapes to highlight with red pen in order to generate a whole alphabet's worth of letters.

I liked the seletape circles impression under charcoal so I further adapted this circular shape to create another alphabet based entirely on the curves of a circle.

After, I looked at a graphic text book and was inspired by various typefaces so I photocopied a few then using a light box I started to trace over the necessary letters in order to complete my idea. This is incomplete but when finished will have my initials clearly at top with my DOB below then below 'methodical'- one of my defining characteristics.
I finished the piece later using fine line pens. I feel that it is generally strong but could still be improved for example, the 'c' could be neater as a curve and the leaves could look more like leaves.

REFLECTION
At first this appeared to be a simple task which essentially it is however when you look at it from a more profound aspect, you realise the true depth of the thought and amount of invention that goes into the process of developing a font. I feel I created some strange ways to create shapes that could be letters however I feel that potentially I could be more inventive with stranger ideas in the future which should help generate more originality. Today I used the tasks well to experiment thoroughly, delving into texts new and strange. Using this experimentation as a base I would like to further enhance my skills creating text simply through practice. I really like how imagination and out of the box thinking is a key part of the creative process which has been heavily emphasised to me so far this week and I am striving to use my imagination skills as much as possible in the future.
 
Images: Authors own.
 
CHC

2 comments:

  1. I love the typography u created, the circular ones and using negative space and positive space to create the words. It is different and something new. Although is round, there are some element of sharpness to it which creates a good contrast. I also like the fact that the letter are bigger than the circle, we can tell the letter are oversized by them going right up to the edge of the circle.
    I also like the charcoal, how you create marks with charcoal and the letter is formed with the outlined felt tip pen. It creates a big contrast with colour as well as the media.
    I think things to improve are, try the use of colours, at the moment every piece seem to lack in colour, i think using different shades of the same colour to define the negative and positive space would have a very clean and nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your combinations of different typefaces and fonts is brilliant, I really appreciate the fine detail of the individual letters and it looks very clean and simple. Personally I value this about design. The fact that you included your date of birth and initials add a nice personal touch too. In future maybe you could try adding some striking colours to it or maybe just creating an new one with some colour. I also think that you could perhaps try aligning the text differently for instance vertically instead of horizontally. The sellotape alphabet is very intriguing also, I can see that it has somewhat restricted you when trying to expand the letter forms and it provides some limitations however this gives a sense of uniformity throughout the alphabet with is in some ways desirable. The charcoal markings are very expressive and I like the way you have outlined it with red biro although maybe it doesn't need it as some of the markings are already quite clear as this adds to the natural form.

    ReplyDelete