Monday 7 October 2013

GRAPHICS POSTER

WEEK 5 DAY 3

Using what we had learnt about graphics in terms of faces and text in the previous two days, the task was now to combine them in order to create a poster of our possible future involved in graphics. 

There were many different ways people went about completing this task using various media and different levels of simplicity.

Basic colour and recognisable shapes were very bold ways of covering space on the composition.

The combination of text and image are often very successful in that it is such a simple formula but it gives the eye enough to look at and to be interested by.

I liked this because it is very bold black on white however the introduction of the linear colour adds a sense of depth to the piece- something I would like to incorporate into my future work.

Using pens and permanent markers is a very slow process when covering the majority of an A2 size poster so I didn't manage to finish my poster within the set time.

I focused heavily on completing the typography of my poster during the set time using a basic black/ white colour scheme.

Above are my initials against the black/ white stripes of colour in the background. Depending on the colour of the background I adapted the letters or parts of the letters to contrast the background. At the end it means there is not a definite colour for the whole of the text but a varying colour scheme to contrast which is something I admire and would use again.

This is my finished poster, I feel I successfully replicated a similar style to that of the 'King Krule' '6 feet beneath the moon' album cover. I love the contrast which a simple black and white colour scheme creates. Although perhaps additional colour would really bring out another aspect helping to improve the tone or general impressiveness of the poster.

I edited the poster on the computer looking at how the poster would look in different colours. I only used a simple windows editor so I need to get hold of 'Photoshop' to really boost the successfulness of my editing. Another aspect of this piece I like is that it is not so obvious what it is but when you look at it long enough you can realise what it shows.

REFLECTION
This was an enjoyable task, I enjoy creating posters and would consider any project like this to be in favour of the set of skills that I possess. Looking at other peoples work again opens your mind to new processes and ways of going about making the poster. Essentially I chose a plain and simple method of carrying out this task with the black and white colour combination; so in future I plan to make it more complex and visually powerful through the inclusion of colour in the design. I think the strongest part of my piece is the text which is very neat in comparison to the fairly rugged colouring of the body, face and suite that I have adopted. I feel that I have successfully made recognisable objects such as the 'Oscar turned V&A award' with messy black pens toning creating an almost shimmering shining effect between the hands. Another thing I would like to try is a different media such as charcoal on a larger scale when doing a poster in black and white. My main aim for next time I carry out a task similar to this I will probably use paint for rich colour or computer programmes for neatness and precision.

Images: Authors own

CHC



2 comments:

  1. Your final completed poster was very successful, although it took a while and was a long process, it is good that you eventually finished it, as a completed piece of work is always better than unfinished work. I particularly like the contrast of the black and white also the way you have tied this in with the alternating font colours too. The style of font is classic and the image of your future self has been executed well. In future perhaps you could consider using a touch of colour in your work, the monotone poster looks brilliant as it is but could it be improved if you added some bold colours? I appreciate the way you incorporated the V&A logo into the award, this was a clever idea also the inclusion of your initials was a good idea. Overall a great poster, well executed and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really find your poster professional! the poster looks amazing and also looks like it has been designed on a computer. I reckon it could also be used in advertising, I don't know how much time you have spent on this but it turned out to be a good piece of work.

    ReplyDelete