Monday 7 October 2013

PHOTOGRAPHY BASICS

WEEK 6 DAY 1

I took many photos based on places of memory, preceding to this day of photography at Ravensbourne. Out of all of the photos I liked this one the most because of the cinematic effect it creates through the panoramic lens.  I found it to be the most interesting composition out of all of my photos because it was not definitely a perfect scene with some mysterious disfiguring and generally there is so much going on in this scene.

I redrew this image in a 45 minute time period on a much larger scale than I have ever done before in pencil, I used 3 lots of A2 paper to create enough length to draw out this panoramic scene. Its not perfect because it was carried out at speed but I have managed to note down all features from the original picture.

Here is a quick sketch of the figures of me and my brother in the mirror. Here we were looking into the context of cropping and selecting certain parts of the image to give the image a whole new meaning to the original.

This cropping of the image shows a cartoon ducks face smiling and this is clearly a completely different atmosphere compared to that created in the original image.

Again here not so clearly is a cropped area which just shows the washing in-front of the back windows making it appear to be a boring and average photo of something most people see in their everyday lives.

The next task of the day involved looking into the meaning of photos and what kind of mood that they are trying to create. The theme of this photo was JUMP, its fairly unoriginal and also blurred but what I like about it is the shadows in the background which show the jump at a much more emphasised level.

Here the theme was SAD so I attempted to create a sad face with some sugar on the floor.

The theme here was FALLING, I saw an image of 'buzz light-year' from toy story and remembered the classic line where he states that he is not flying but: 'falling with style', so I thought this was relevant.

When looking for an image to represent ECHO, I struggled however this image here involved the repetition of the blue circles and repetition is a key aspect of the echo so out of everything I found I thought that this was the most successful way of representing echo in the short time period which we had.

The theme here was CRUSH, so when I saw 'ironman's' strong wrist clenched as if crushing something I thought it represented the theme perfectly.

Here the theme was HAPPY, this I found was a very easy theme to represent because a lot of advertising has happy faces such as on the dancers here.
REFLECTION
This day started off well being introduced to photography which I have always enjoyed but never studied to a detailed degree, so much of this day involved learning new things which helped me understand photography much better. I quickly realised that I liked busy photos with lots to look at especially in the panorama form. This panoramic form is much similar to the lengthy image you see in cinema, this is a technique I would like to take further into a lot of my work because it is not too common and is really visually impressive. My sketch was successful in that I completed it so quickly and my sketching skills at speed have improved rapidly so far over this process. However it was not perfectly accurate but there is plenty of time to improve this aspect of my artistic skills. Looking into cropping and the meaning behind photos was very intriguing and I have definitely learnt a lot more which should help improve my photos to the next level. Then when capturing photos trying to represent a certain theme was interesting because it makes you look at the world in a new light really searching for something in your surroundings. In this topic I am only a rookie at the moment but there is plenty of time and space to improve so I will keep trying my best and see how it goes.
 
Images: Authors own
 
CHC 

No comments:

Post a Comment