Tuesday 12 November 2013

CALLIGRAPHY WORKSHOP

We started off the day looking at the calligraphy alphabet then creating our own practising our strokes with paintbrushes using ink to mark the page.

I then experimented with the technique trying out slightly different styles trying to work out what I like best about calligraphy.

This image says: 'ning nang nong' based on Spike Milligan's poem.

Experimenting with a slightly different font of calligraphy.

The task was to create a logo for a wine bottle. These are just two of my random ideas.

Experimenting with my name and shadowing on the writing.

Practice and attempting to perfect 'ning nang nong'.

This is one of my final designs that I completed later on after all of my initial experiments. 'Vino' is Spanish for 'wine'.

I edited the picture I took of the final design and then edited the contrast and basic colour settings, fiddling around with them trying to work out what the best design looked like.

This is a darker version which I believe looks more like a stereotypical wine cover over the previous two images of edits.

The final design using adobe in design. Original and vibrant colour scheme- can obviously be adapted.


This was a very simple task however calligraphy takes a lot more skill then I initially imagined; you have to refine your strokes and working at different speeds will vary the outcome of each brush stroke. This technique also really helps you to realise the spaces between the letters, the bold and thin parts of letters aswell as the density of the ink being put onto page. I struggled for a bit because this task seemed quite boring at first but then you get into a tranquil state where you are looking at a much more complex process then you first thought and this is what I aim to take out of this task and use in future tasks where I can look out of the box or simply from another perspective then usual allowing much deeper insight into the art of typography. I did find using a paintbrush hard because it bends easily often in the direction I did not want it to go in making imperfections in the work but I did start to find that I quite liked certain imperfections because they give the final outcome a sense of reality that cannot be achieved by any accurate computer. Working at a faster pace gave real flow to any text I created and often accidents occurred which were often bad but some showed positive aspects which I learnt to manipulate in a good way.
 
Images: Authors own
 
CHC

No comments:

Post a Comment