Friday 8 November 2013

PROJECT 3 DAY 3

I spray painted the football red.

I cut out stencils using a pallet knife.

After realising that stencilling onto a round ball was a lot harder than I expected I tried using spray-paint and stencil on a sports shirt which also failed to work successfully.

I then looked at spray-painting the stencils on a basic sheet of cardboard

This was much more successful but there were still a few smudges and the cardboard wasn't as relevant as the football or shirt as the theme of my manifesto.

I tried this process on a few sheets of cardboard to see whether the stencil was the problem or if it was my spray painting technique.

After failing with the spray paint and stencil I decided to write on the ball with sharpie pens but even this held problems; because where I had previously sprayed the ball created a surface for which even sharpie pen struggled to make its mark on.

Here is another part of the ball showing scrappy writing.

These are all of my primary notes and research for the football theme.

Using the internet programme 'tagxedo' I managed to create a football shape out of football words but all the words were scrambled which is not what I am after.

I adapted this style to fit my sentences of my manifesto into the shape of the football. This is the beginning of my final piece but I still plan to add a background and potentially a football boot into the mix.

This is a very thought provoking task because it took so long to work out what I actually wanted to say in this manifesto. In the end I used the theme of sport in particular football which has always been a central part of my life since a very young age whereas other things I wanted to write about were either less consistent aspects of my life or were too hard to generate something profound enough in such a short space of time. I feel I have learnt a lot about the importance of planning in this project and I have also learnt a lot about spray painting and stencils and  what doesn't work. I believe I have been successful in this project but it took a lot of mistakes to get there which means I get experience which will make me wiser in the future and should hopefully allow me to avoid such mistakes next time.
 
Images: Authors own.
 
CHC

No comments:

Post a Comment