Thursday 14 November 2013

PHOTOSHOP AND ILLUSTARTOR PRACTICE

This is my first attempt at creating a poster for the film: '33', based upon the story of the 33 Chilean miners trapped under ground. I was looking to achieve a simplistic minimal poster thinking that this would be easier than altering a complicated image.
This is my second attempt at a poster for the film this time using adobe illustrator instead of adobe photoshop. I fiddled around with all the settings and really started to get a feel for the software before I started to produce anything serious. I am much more proud with the final outcome of this second effort.

This task to create a poster using software which I am not confident with and have only used once before was rather daunting at first, but then I realised I can only improve. The first poster shown above is where I am experimenting with all of the settings and filters and general features trying to familiarise myself with the programme without worrying about making errors because essentially that is how you learn- from your mistakes. Overall I was disappointed with my first poster even though I didn't really know what I was doing it just wasn't an acceptable poster for the level I aim to work at. The second poster I created using adobe illustrator which I found slightly easier than adobe photoshop. At first I downloaded the software at home after the previous days failure and experimented with the features; once I felt that I had a semi decent understanding of the programme I started to edit an image using certain filters then edited a basic arial font creating outlines and then stretching them to create the shape of a miners axe. I found that using this programme you can really make the most of the text and editing text into shapes that you want is very strong as a component of adobe illustrator in my opinion. I was slightly worried going into this task but when actually doing it I am glad I didn't let this lack of knowledge about the software make me hesitant but instead I dived into the task seeing it as a challenge. It is fair to say that I didn't achieve any worthy artwork during this day but I learnt a lot which at this stage for me is much more important. Attempting the same task the next day at home gave me more time to achieve something more portfolio worthy and I am glad I devoted a day to training myself to use these programmes more successfully. I started off in this task knowing literally nothing and now I feel that I have stepped up a level to an understanding of the software where I can produce good work but there is still a lot of improving to be made.
 
Images: Authors own.
 
CHC

No comments:

Post a Comment