Sunday 17 November 2013

STUDY ZONE RESEARCH AND CREATION OF BOOK COVER

The library at Ravensbourne provides an ideal environment for the progression of ideas. Once given the brief to create a book cover, back and spine design I decided to take the theme of illustration seriously. I gained inspiration from a variety of books on illustration in the library. I developed lots of plans with this inspiration but given the little amount of time I had during the day to complete my designs I never found a definite final design or plan to do for the book cover. With so many options and ways of going about this task I have to admit I was too indecisive and this was a weakness because I couldn't do much over the weekend due to work so next time I complete a task like this I will definitely aim to work at a much faster pace training myself to work at speed is something all successful illustrators and graphic designers should have mastered.  

After a lot of trails and disappointment at not achieving the perfection I was after but could not achieved I decided to just go ahead with the original idea of a book of illustrations based on the concept: 'concrete jungle'. I surprised myself in the process of the creation of the book cover- I had to create a lot more layers and individual designs then I originally thought but doing this allowed for easy compiling at the end  when using adobe in design. What I did create was done in minimal time so it is very simplistic using basic photoshop effects but I am pleased with this simplicity because I feel that it still works effectively.
The blend of the 'ferrier council estate' in Kidbrooke and a jungle scene, compressed by both contrasting words in the title of the book.

The blend of a youth at the London riots and a lion in the wild, walking through each other on blend. A fresh original perspective?

This is the final design I created using in design compiling together all aspects into one.

I am glad with this cover, back and spine design; I believe it operates on a design structure slightly different to the typical one when considering special use, bar code positioning...but that's what I like about it, it makes it unique. Next time I carry out a task like this I would prefer to do it by hand making it more artistic but maybe not if my photoshop skills have developed significantly by that time.

Images: Authors own.

CHC

No comments:

Post a Comment