Monday 23 September 2013

3D WEIGHT SUPPORT DESIGNS

WEEK 4 DAY 1

The purpose of today was to look into paper and cardboard manipulation in order to create a 3D design that would hold our body weight.
This picture is a birds eye view where I have used the slot into place hexagon formation which evolved into more of a triangular shape.


I put more folded cardboard into the centre of the main frame to enhance the stability and strength of the structure.


Here I realise that the design is strong but fairly dull so I have changed the heights of certain flaps to make the design more complicated and visually attractive.


Another birds eye view with the seat roof on, I folded it over so that it would both be more secure and comfortable to sit on.


I can easily sit cosily on my creation without worrying about it collapsing or falling over.


The seat is durable enough to hold my whole body weight with my feet off the floor as shown above.


To make the design more interesting I have folded over some of the overlapping slats of cardboard into an arch like form and I have cut out slots within other parts of the design to cope with the arch piece.


I started adding cut outs and bird hole like additions to the design which I feel was relevant because I believed my design strongly resembled a tree.


At the end of the day everyone compared they're seat designs and critiqued each other. We also tested them by sitting on them and it became clear to everyone which were the more successful designs.
 
REFLECTION
I found this task very eye opening in that you have a limited amount of resources to make something you require to be strong and reliable. Whilst carrying out this task I feel I was successful in that I used a method of building which I knew worked and once I had created a strong frame with minimal materials I had plenty of time to enhance the visual aesthetics of the seat. I have learnt that visual aesthetics are an important factor to make products stand out but I found it harder trying to combine good looks and sound functioning together. Also another thing I have learnt and will use in the future is that in  3D design the idea of originality is essentially fundamental because anyone can build a chair but making it stand out from the rest is much more impressive.
 
Images: Authors own.
 
CHC  


1 comment:

  1. Not many people have designed the outside of their product but I can see you have which made it stand out from many others products, it also looks stable and solid for someone to be seated on it, the flat surface makes it seem comfortable to sit on and looking at the pictures it seems that your product was successful to hold your weight.

    ReplyDelete