Wednesday 11 September 2013

PAPER MANIPULATIONS INTO FASHION DESIGN

WEEK 2 DAY 2

 

This is an image of some magazine tears that I collected. I chose these images because I thought that they rpresented form and shape well with a hint of a design element but nothing like the paper manipulation designs that were carried out today.


I photocopied some of my favourite magazine tears to different sizes and then created and placed different paper manipulation designs on them. This was a fairly quick process where I could look back to previous paper manipulations to help aid me in my design and inspire some creativity.


These are 2 seperate ideas where on the right I have focused on the wrists covering them with a triangular cutting oversized cuff. The image on the left jas the models body covered by large watches and the legs covered by a chain of bulging watches to generate a 3D effect.


These are some other designs which I admired. I found feedback and looking at other peoples work at the end of the tasks to be a good idea because it gave a range of perspectives to the tasks that I possibly would never have considered on my own and it also inspires ideas where you can take an idea and manipulate it into your own individual design.


I felt that both of these designs represented simplicity well, the top shows only small paper designs covering only a small amount of the model in a minimalist style. My design on the bottom of the image is inspired by the creative master: Gary Harvey's newspaper dresses created from folded sheets of newspaper shaped into a flowing dress.


Here are two close ups of some of my designs. These are both prototypes for a much larger real life size scale version that I will create. Obviously they are only a basic plan for the larger version and will not be an exact scaled replica.


These are 3 of my other designs inspired by a spikey angular look. What I found out when partaking in this task was that larger 3D paper designs often do not stay in place as they are not the most rigid materials however this also helped to create interesting compositions often by accident.


This design is taken from yesterdays paper manipulations. I cut it up into smaller pieces where I could change the angles of the outline/ shadown of the dress more easily.


Here shows a range of my sketches and ideas for potential larger scale (life size) designs to create tomorrow. The ideas can be read like a book(left to right, top to bottom) to show the timeline and progression to how I developed my final illustrated idea at the end of the wing like design partly inspired by a mix of native american indian tassel like shapes and a stereotypical winged angel.


Some of the pages in my sketchbook show photocopies and designs that I created today and I have chosen to present a few of them in a third dimension to add depth to the page and whilst also making the page more interesting.
REFLECTION
Today gave an oppertunity to really step into the world of fasion design, something that I can honestly say I've never really done or even contemplated doing in the past. Doing a number of designs gave reason to experiment with designs where you could get to the position where you could actually take a pick from a selection of designs to make into a final creation. I have learnt a lot also from seeing how other people approach these tasks giving me inspiration to take my ideas further in some cases or avoid doing certain things such as keeping a design 2 dimensional.I think certain parts of my work were more successful than others; based on feedback from others would suggest that my wing design and spikey triangular body shell designs were the strongest so I will probably carry these designs onto the next task. This was not a hard task to complete but what was slightly difficult was deciding whether a maximalist or minimalist approach was needed. I believe that I carried out all tasks today successfully due to my good time management today- something that I will attempt to take with me into every other task I partake in throughout the course.
CHC

No comments:

Post a Comment