Wednesday 4 September 2013

10 MEMORABLE OBJECTS

DAY 1



These are my 10 objects which represent memories from my past and present. Next to each object I have written a short statement helping to provide a brief insight as to why each item is individually important and profound.
This is the Hammerhead shark toy that I used alonside three other items shown in the following pictures. I cant help noticing that so far that my process of elimination has left two toy animals left in the frame for further exploration; this potentially represents an idea that a large chunk of my most profound memory is based on my love for animals and toys.
This is a close up of my gorilla head next to my mixed media based study. I have explained why this is important to me previously however, through a process of selection and elimination this piece of ephemera made the top 4 items of which I then decided to use in making a compact composition with. I then sketched and using other media such as pen created my own version of this composition purposely distorting the scale of the objects involved in this piece.
The 3rd item that I decided to select was my current pair of goggles. Definitely not my favourite pair that I have ever had; however yet again I have noticed a link between the previous item and these goggles. Both the shark and goggles are designed to live or cope with life submerged in water. Water whether that is from the sea or a swimming pool has been a central part of my joyful memories over my lifetime.
The 4th and final of the 4 selected objects was my 'Big Chill' festival wristband. I cannot find any obvious link between the googles and the wristband apart from the fact that both create a circle loop shape that a body part fits through. This represents fun times and great memories with friends and my love for music.
This is the compact composition that I created with the 4 selected objects, they are all intertwined in one way or another and I have tried to do this intertwining in a way which creates interesting shape and form. Also by putting the goggles on the shark and the wristeband as a headband for the gorilla head I have attempted to incorperate a mild form of humour into this composition which should hopefully improve the visual asthetics of the composition.
When creating my study of the composition I unintentionally did it in a scale far smaller than would have been expected, instead of covering the majority of the A3 sized paper I had only covered around a 5th of the paper so I decided to doodle a pattern around all the objects that I had included in my study. However this still left a lot of empty space so I added another object (teenage mutant ninja turtle) to the composition in a much larger scale than its real life form but I did not actually add the turtle as an object to my 3D composition- I kept it seperate.
I photocopied my 4 items of choice to different scales, note that there was no A3 printing paper left so this was done at a much smaller A4 scale where the items were printed at a maximum length of spproximately 7cm. The task was then to create a couple of collages with these photocopies. I did a small collage involving one photocopy of each object to create a shark bodied, gorilla headed, goggle eyed form with a wristband as a halo to show the diversity of form that collage can create.
This is my main composition that I created via the technique of collage. Seeing as the theme of the project is 'memory', I chose to create an outline of London which is the place where the majority of my memories stem from or where they have taken place. I used the gorilla head to fill the area where I have lived all my life- South East London and the wristbands to create the outline of London whilst the other objects were used as stuffing to hide any white space. After filling the shape of London I realised that it was not obvious that it was the shape of London (map form) so I decided to add the green belt (a policy for controlling urban growth around the periphery of London) to further enhance and emphasise the fact that I was trying to portray London.
This simply shows the outcome of the tasks I completed on day 1 on a single sheet of A3 paper. From this I realise that I can definitely improve in many ways, for a start I am looking to start increasing the size of my sketches and work. Overall I am satisfied with this work however there is a lot of further improvement to be made. My favourite part is the accurate teenage mutant ninja turtle head and the gorilla head with the wristband on its head- I think this is because these are the most bold parts of the composition and portray my graphical skills better than my tonal skills.

REFLECTION

The tasks that were set today were very basic but this allowed for me as an individual to look at things from the simplest degree where it is easy to realise what I do best and what I dont such as what media I use best and what type of objects I can create most successfully. I feel that I completed al tasks to a satisfactory level however as I have already said there is room for improvement btu I suppose it is best to make all of the simple mistakes early on and learn from them so I dont make the same mistakes in the future. Feedback from other students was minimal however what I did hear was that the teenage mutant ninja turtle and how I had completely distorted the scale of the object was the strongest aspect of my creations on the side of A3 paper. Where I can improve is generally in all areas however I will start step by step looking into increasing the scale and also I am keen to look into other medias to portray my thoughts and responses. Using pens and pencils gives you a limited range of tones and textures so in the future I would love to incorperate more paint and collage which I also find easier to use or so I have found in the past. Overall the tasks were fairly simple but this could be decieving seeing as I have completely overlooked the idea of scale in much of this task, so in the future I think I should be less worried about perfection and just practice at working accurately at speed on a larger scale.

CHC 

No comments:

Post a Comment