Friday 27 September 2013

SPAGHETTI TOWER CONSTRUCTION

WEEK 4 DAY 3

When designing I set myself a goal to create the tallest spaghetti tower in the class which would still hold the balls much like how an apple tree holds apples.


Here my tower has been reinforced by ladder like spaghetti groups to make the structure more rigid which some suggested made it look less elegant than it did before.


At this point in the design stage I noticed that a few other people had created taller towers so I decided to step up my design by adding another level of height through longer legs.


I like the way it looks quite human like, juggling the balls.


Notice the small white figure at the bottom of the tower, this is supposed to represent scale.


Feedback on my tower stated that it reminded someone of the 'Wickerman' and another said it was quite an aggressive design so I suppose I have succeeded in my how my tower is able to generate a response in the mind of the viewer.


Here it is clear to see the landscape of spaghetti towers across the table and how achieved the over-towering effect successfully.


The next stage involved using a sheet of paper to add support and defence to our designs, I tried to create a deflecting cap to my design which was more visually pleasing than the skeleton of my design.


I found it hard to fit extra defence onto the tower seeing as the spaghetti was so fragile.


All the reinforced designs before having a basketball thrown on them.


After the basketball struck- no survivors.
 
REFLECTION
I found this to be a good task because you had to be really thoughtful and skilled when creating your designs seeing as the materials were a nightmare to work with and often snapped under the slightest pressure. However I created a huge tower which I personally thought had character and it seemed to provoke a response from others which after all is what all good art should do. So in that sense I believe it was a success even if it didn't quite survive the gravitational force of the basketball crushing it into the ground but neither did anyone else's towers survive the destruction so its not too shameful considering this. I believe I went about this task well wanting to almost redeem myself from day 2's disaster by proving I can actually design and build well. I will take my ambitious approach into all future tasks as it generates the best results and I think that an aspiring attitude is a good one to adopt in order to keep improving.
 
 
Images: Authors own
 
CHC

3 comments:

  1. Loving the way your sculpture unintentionally developed a lot of character, to the point where everyone was calling it the wickerman. Too bad about it's demise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha turn comments on your blog on man

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the figurative sculpture you done here, the sculpture seem very supportive although narrow. By sticking and layering more spaghetti together to create a more solid base, apart from the functionality of this point I think this is good for the aesthetic part too. I also like how you have went the other direction; some part of the structure is horizontal and some vertical creating something similar to a platform.
    I believe there are not much to improve on this sculpture, but in terms of presentation and the photos u taken, I think they can be a little more dramatic and exaggerated, for example playing around with the lighting and shadows to bring out the sculpture out bit more.

    ReplyDelete