Saturday 14 September 2013

DESIGNS BROUGHT TO LIFE SIZE

WEEK 2 DAY 3


This is my winged design made using scissors to cut out a cardboard frame helping to create a fairly rigid structure from which I could further enhance my design from.I used a less rigid brown paper to build the wings cutting and shaping them in a way that is meant to replicate the typical style of an eagle's wings.


The task after creation of the garments was to carry out a photoshoot within the college. The architecture of the building specifically the large round windows allowed for some great compositions and silhouettes when taking the photos. I think that this dramatic style suited my winged garment well.


Another photo of a friend modelling my wings. I've gone for a shot from distance here inspired by the James Bond films trademark opening credit where Bond walks with the white circle then stops and shoots and a waterfall of blood runs down.


Here I've asked the model to pose like this to represent a sense of solomness, reflection and loneliness looking out at a large world from within the confines of the building. You can also clearly see the texture of the wing from this angle which is another thing I wanted to capture.


is is a photo a friend took of me wearing the wings I myself created.


When going around the building I saw many possible situations where certain compositions could be generated. Here I did not actually take the photo- I am posing as one of the models however the original idea was my own and I felt that spacing ourselves from each other in this scattered way would have an interesting effect. I feel this is a great example of perspective and how scale changes with distance. Also I love how such bizarre garments are being worn in such a typical everyday situation and the photo would suggest that this is perfectly normal with the laid back body language of the models.


Here is a photo of myself modelling someone elses design. I feel that the sharp lines throughout this composition blend well creating an effect where there is a library around me but it may also appear that there is a library on me.


Here I wanted my model to get into a pose similar to that of a typical gargoyle or statue of an angel on old buildings kneeled down with wings elegently flowing over the shoulders. What makes it more interesting is that you can think of it as an angel reading a book- something quite oscure which I like.


This is a bold picture where everything is very straight and regimented like the army like standing alert pose and organised book shelves which create a tunnel effect adding depth to the image.


This is also another persons design which I thought was very strong in how it almost looks like special effects surrounding the upper part of the models body. This is a fairly unique pose which is why I liked it and chose to include it in my blog instead of other images.
REFLECTION
I found these tasks of creation and photoshoot fairly successful in that I completed them all on time without rushing, making sure that I had perfectly symetrical measurements when creating my wings and being careful to ensure that my work in general was of a good level of quality. Working at a large scale takes up more time so there was not room for laziness and you really have to plan well how things are going to be carried out. For example it was essentual that I created a frame for the winged design, if I hadn't done this than my job of creating the garment would've been much harder and the process would not of been a smooth flow of ideas. I really enjoyed the photography aspect and hiring a better quality camera definitely helped me to produce much better quality pictures and compositions so I will always try to use the best quality camera in the future. I think that my design was created well within the short amount of time given however it was very basic and lots could still be done to improve it. I found the photgraphy good because I always had many ideas for shots flowing through my mind and I would like to further train these skills in the near future.
CHC


2 comments:

  1. I like this wing because it is so conceptual and out of the scale, it seems to be a great starting point. The wing creates a very dramatic impression on the model. I think the body part and the wing connect with each other well they are both straight and angular. The outfit creates an angel look on the model which makes it supernatural. Due to the scale and intensity of the outfit it stands out from the crowd which I like.
    To improve on this costume I think to use even more angular and sharper edges, by making the costume more rigid shaped it will be more effective and bold. Also colours may make this piece stand out more too compare to cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your design, looks very angelic and makes you look like the higher status person. The wings are the main things I loved about the designs, I'm guessing they were inspired by your structures that you made on day one of fashion as they look like a larger scale of it. The poses that was struck was also great I like how you had your model stand near the window to create a silhouette of the model wearing your product it was quite clever and the pose of 4 other models seated in one space was also a great image and looked very magazine like.

    ReplyDelete