Tuesday 17 September 2013

ADOBE PHOTOSHOP AND ILLUSTRATOR PRACTICE

WEEK 3 DAY 2

 
Today was essentially a day of experiment and learning. I started the day using a windows programme large screen computer with what appeared to be an impressive resolution; I started working on a possible idea where I could place my head on James Bonds' body using Adobe Photoshop. I struggled with the mask for the layers and I also realised that the 2 layers didn't quite match on a pixel level.
 So I moved onto a new design using the magic wand tool and lasso tools to select areas to delete however again I encountered trouble when selecting around regions of hair and also in general because the background was not one 'non-contrasting' tone which confused the computer and was hard to manage so again I decided to move onto a new design which worked. A picture of myself looking into the sky and I cut and selected a flying car to be pasted into the shot so that was what I was looking at. This was relevant to my future because I believe that there will be some great flying cars in the future and I'd love to own one. 

 The next programme we looked at was Adobe Illustrator but I had to change to a Macintosh laptop because the programme kept freezing on the windows format; the Mac format is something I am not used to so this was also a whole new experience for me along with the adobe programme.
 The logo above is an example of some experimental pieces that I created when fiddling about with the various effects within the programme. Here I have messed around particularly with the scatter effects for the planet abyss like background and the fish shape warp for the text.
 I felt that the experimental work was not the best looking thing I've ever created but what I learnt from the process of making it is more important this time. I wanted to create the fish text so it looked like it was swimming into the simple yet aesthetically pleasing circles of colour much like planets in a solar system or the kind of pattern created when raindrops hit the surface of water- if I was more competent at 'Illustrator' I feel I could have achieved a much more successful result.
 Above is an image of where I have utilised the zig-zag warp effect to create the black sharp angles with red highlights aswell as pulling the anchor parts of the letters to an intersect above the 'l's in my name (callum) creating almost a triangular mountain like shape. This started off as a messy experiment but as I fiddled more with it I realised I quite liked it, above all of my other experiments so I decided that would be the best logo. 
Above is a faded and less high resolution version of my logo above which I actually believe is quite strong aswell visually in its faded colours. Today was definitely a success as a learning curve however I do not feel that any particular finished piece or anything was worth printing out and being proud of so next time should be more successful both because I will be more confident in what I aim doing and this should hopefully aid me to achieving a better final outcome.
 
 
Images: Authors own



1 comment:

  1. I thought the logo with the brown circles was quite successful to be graphical or lens based as it has flares of flash and the zig zag lined image was also successful logo but I prefer the other one, this could be due to my taste of designs. But I do find your chosen logo good but it doesn't seem like a logo whereas the other one does look more of a logo.

    ReplyDelete