Monday 9 September 2013

MEMORYNOPOLY TIMELINE

DAY 4




This is a mind map where I briefly sketched down my memories of the week so far, obviously not everything could be noted down so I just did the bits that I remembered the most or included things which inspired me the most.


When deciding how to do my timeline I decided to do it in a monopoly style. This is my first plan in my sketchbook where the ideas are not quite set in stone yet.


This is my second plan within my sketchbook where I have an idea to sketch cartoons an have illustrations not just in the monopoly squares but also outside them taking my own twist on the original monopoly format.


This is the start of my 'memorynopoly' timeline, I chose to include my feet in the photo to show the large scale of this timeline. So far this is a rough plan with colour still to be decided upon.


This is my timeline where I have gone for a black and yellow and red colour scheme. This I feel is a strong colour scheme however I do not believe that my text and graphics are not all as strong as each other, infact I feel that lots of them could be heavily improved.


I've decided some collage needed to be added into the timeline to make it more visually aesthetic. I chose to include the jail and 'go' monopoly signs because I think I wanted something to show the real monopoly side to my timeline and also to cover up some of my weaker less memorable squares. Much still needs to be done at this stage of the timeline.


Here are some quick sketches of an underground train and sign that I will cartoon onto the timeline via the tracing paper.


Here I finally feel that the majority of the white is being covered by collage sketches and the typography in the squares- the original effect I was looking to create. I still feel that there could be improvements to the centre of the timeline.


Here I have tried to neaten things up whilst emphasising them with a bold black line. By doing this I feel that a definite monopoly structure is being revealed.


This is my final memorynopoly timeline where I have included yet another media type into the frame in the form of green paint to cover up what I thought was a blank mess in the centre of thr timeline. I've extended the presence of the black sharpie line to make a more definite structure to the monopoly style timeline. I like how there is a presence of structure aswell as a sense of no structure with the collage oversteeping square boundaries at the bottom of the timeline.


I changed the centre design of the memorynopoly to a more bold and consistent green collage.
REFLECTION
This timeline task allowed room for a lot of creatvity where an idea such as the monopoly style timeline gave me the oppertunity to use graphics alongside my illustrative skills to create something to reflect my week at Ravensbourne. I feel that I have spent way too much time on this task and made too many mistakes that slowed this whole process down to alevel that should never have occurred. However all of these mistakes have provided me with an insight which I can use in the future to help prevent me from making the same mistakes again, so in future in can work at a much faster pace. The strongest parts I believe are the inclusion of multiple medias on one page and I feel that the variation in general from fonts to drawing styles and medias creates an experimental style which I quite like. Its definitely not my strongest work but I feel that the amount of mistakes I made when producing this especially at the beginning have provided me with greater knowledge on how to plan works in a more efficient way in the future.
 
CHC

1 comment:

  1. I found your timeline the most cleverly designed and it really did stand out than all the other timelines I have seen, you have been really creative with this. I like how you showed the start and the end clearly y=using the monopoly board layout. The colours used couldn't of got better, the timeline I thought was designed graphically on computer when i first saw it and was amazed when I found out you drew all of this, Well Done!

    ReplyDelete